Thursday, April 22, 2010

Genesis 10-16: Christian Threesome



In these chapters Noah´s generations spread and divide into many different nations. After many of this generations passed, Abram is finally born. Abram marries Sarai and they both go to the land God blessed for them. Unfortunately, Sarai is barren and she is unable to conceive a child which would cause the end of their generation. Due to this, Abram is “forced” to have sex with the maid, Hagar. Sarah did this because she wanted his husband to have a son that would be his heir. But I think that what was wrong with Sarah? How could she let her husband sleep with the maid? Yes, I understand that she wanted she wanted all the best for Abram, but she must´ve obviously felt anger at her husband sleeping with someone else. If God is almighty and the most powerful why couldn´t he have made Sarai fertile before she was ninety?

As stated by the narrator,

“And Sarai said unto Abram, My wrong [be] upon thee: I have given my maid into thy bosom; and when she saw that she had conceived, I was despised in her eyes: the LORD judge between me and thee.” (Genesis 16:5)

This proves that she was a bit jealous. Every woman wants to be a mother and even though she accepted the deal, after seeing the consequences she must have felt worse. So Sarai was jealous. The maid is practically forced into this because seriously who would want to be forced to sleep with this old guy out of nowhere to give him a child? Abraham must have felt ok with it since he agreed to do it, I mean, which man would not agree to have sex with a woman younger than him willing to?
I could relate this very much to modern society and the new use of surrogacy. Surrogacy is a method of reproduction whereby a woman agrees to become pregnant and deliver a child for another family due to women´s infertility. Using this procedure the embryo is inserted into another women´s body. I think this is extremely weird. I would totally disagree with the fact of another person conceiving my baby. I believe that being a mother is undergoing all the process of maternity, and this totally ruins the experience. I understand that many women are barren and they want a son with their genetic features, but can´t they just recur to adoption. This can be related to this story since Sarai had to force the maid to have a baby and later when she saw her pregnant felt jealous. According to many people each story of the Bible has a lesson, but this left me completely confused. I really can´t understand the fact that God permitted this to happen. If God was the creator of everything and he can do whatever he wants with his creation, why did he make Sarai sterile if he wanted the generations to continue?

No comments:

Post a Comment