Monday, April 12, 2010

Phaeton Burns the World

The story begins when Phaeton is talking to his therapist about what happened to him. Phaeton, as the son of the sun God, Apollo, starts narrating the story by telling us how everything occurred. He had always known that his dad was Apollo, but he had never actually talked to him. The only thing he knew was that he is the sun and that it had been like a one day stand sort of thing with his mother. One day in school a kid bullies him by asking him about his dad and when Phaeton tells him that his father is the sun, this kid beats the shit out of him. When he gets home he keeps crying and his mom supports him and tells him the harsh route in order to see his dad. Phaeton decides to go to look for him and begins the difficult journey. When he finally gets there he is welcomed by his dad´s servants and at last he meets his sire. Then, Apollo promises to grant his child a favor and Phaeton asks for the chariot so he can enlighten the world for a day. When the God hears this he totally regrets having promised him and is forced to give him the chariot knowing that this may be extremely dangerous. Then, he tells all the rules to Phaeton (who does not listen) and then he embarks to enliven the universe. Unfortunately it all turned out bad and everything ended up burned and destructed.

“Phaeton:
It was over before it began. It was chaos, okay? Out of control, as if no one was driving. You know, my knees were weak, I was blind from all the light. I set the earth on fire. And I fell. And it just destroyed me-you know, I was just completely and utterly destroyed. O-V-E-R. Over.” Pg 67

I thought that Phaeton fits the perfect stereotype of a spoiled kid since he asks his dad for this dangerous favor knowing that it may bring terrible consequences. Although he is spoiled, I totally understand him since it is very hard to grow without your dad´s presence and love. I had heard this story before and I have heard many theories about it. Some people have told me that this is how deserts were formed. This seems very reasonable since Phaeton burned the world. I actually liked this version more than Dryden´s version since in this one Mary Zimmerman uses a more modern language and entertaining tone so I can relate more to the story. I also liked the way she used the therapist since it makes the story more entertaining.



No comments:

Post a Comment