Monday, June 7, 2010

He was Lost, and was Found




The Gospel of Luke has a lot of teachings in it which Jesus taught his followers. One of these stories is the one about the father who divides his goods and gives them to both of his cons. He younger son takes a journey in which he spends all of the money. In effect, he is forced to return home and very embarrassed goes and asks his father to forgive him and to offer him a job as a servant. Instead, his father receives him and says,

“…Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry: For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.”
(15:22-15:24)

According to me this is kind of ironic since this son has sinned and his father instead of making him a servant, forgives him, and is happy because he returned home.

After this, the eldest brother gets kind of jealous since he has worked hard to help his father and he doesn’t receive this kind of rewards for his efforts. He goes to complain with his father, but this one just tells him,

“It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.” (15:32)

Yeah, I know it seems quite of unfair, I mean, how can the father reward his son after what he did? If I was the eldest son I would obviously be mad and disappointed, but I guess the father has the right of being happy since his son returned home.

As all the stories in the Bible, this story has a teaching. I have always heard this story in the mass, but I had never actually understood it until now. According to me, the father can be interpreted a God and we are the sons. God has given to us everything and if we decide to sin and ask for forgiveness he will forgive us and will be happy to have us back since his love is unconditional.

No comments:

Post a Comment