Sunday, May 23, 2010

FORGIVENESS and other MIRACLES



Now, I´m continuing reading the Gospel of Luke and although I want to sleep I am making a huge effort to keep on reading.
As I said in my last blog post, Jesus is starting to cure people with diseases and is becoming famous for making miracles. In one occasion a centurion´s servant went to ask Jesus for help.

“Then Jesus went with them. And when he was now not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to him, saying unto him, Lord, trouble not thyself: for I am not worthy that thou shouldest enter under my roof: 7 Wherefore neither thought I myself worthy to come unto thee: but say in a word, and my servant shall be healed.” (7:6)

When I read this quotation I couldn’t stop thinking about every mass and how each Sunday they keep repeating this. I have never actually understood it, so I decided to read it a couple of times to find its meaning. After trying to analyze it I came up with an interpretation. In those times the Jews were enemies of the Romans, and the Centurion was obviously considered an enemy of Jesus, but Jesus instead of denying his help, agrees to go and cure him. This is extremely contradictory due to the fact that he is curing an enemy, but it teaches everyone and serves as an example of forgiveness and how they are all sons of God and should love each other. The Centurion says that he is no one to ask for his help, but still Jesus decides to help him since he is nobody to judge his actions.

I really like this part since Jesus shows kindness and love and forgiveness. This taught me that in the eyes of the Lord we are all equal so we should treat everyone good. Many times in life we treat people badly and refuse to help them due to their believes or features, and God just wants to teach as that nobody is superior or has the right to treat others badly. In the end we will all die and our actions will be nothing, but the wind. We will ALL die, so what makes you so superior?

Then, we see another act of forgiveness when Jesus forgives a woman who had committed adultery.

“Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.” (7:47)

I remember seeing this part in a movie. This woman is Mary Magdalene, who had committed a huge sin, but Jesus instead of punishing her, forgives her. This shows how everyone should be forgiven instead of being punished (this goes to my Mom).

Then, after lots of miracles, Jesus starts spreading his parables and teachings, and the disciples divide to spread God´s will everywhere. Ok, so, I understand that the apostles admired Jesus, but they were practically his servants. Well, if I were them I would think the Lord was a little unfair since how come Jesus has these special powers while nobody else does? Oh well, life sucks.

Well, I haven’t found anything more interesting in these chapters, but I am really liking how Luke makes things so brief and simple. I really like Jesus´ behavior since it shows goodness and compassion. If more people in the world acted with kindness and didn’t have resentment everything would be better, but life is not like this and people have become selfish and egocentric.

Right now, I need a Jesus. If he was so powerful, can´t he just come and help all the misfortunate? If God is able to perform such miracles, why doesn’t he help the world and all the people who suffer every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment