Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Ten Commandments



1. You shall have no other gods before me.
When I saw this law the first thing that came to my mind was when Moses went to show the commandments to the Israelites and saw them worshipping a gold bull as if that was their God. I thought this was very disrespectful to the Lord since after God did all those efforts to save them they pay him by believing in another God. This commandment made me ask myself these questions:
Is being an atheist a sin?
Is being part of another religion and worshipping another God a sin?

2. You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.As well as the first commandment this commandment made me think about the golden bull. I think that worshipping the statue was a sin, but it is kind of justified since the people had never actually seen the God so they didn’t know how he looked like. Nowadays we can see Buddha statues and the statues are not seen as bad. Does the Lord disagree with this?

3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.This commandment remembers me of how we have all said in a point of our lives “I swear for God” so that people believe us. The problem is that many times we don’t say the truth and that is when we use the name of God in vain.

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
I really don’t understand this commandment
and I don’t follow it so I decided to skip it.


5. Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.Ok, so this is the commandment which I mostly don’t follow. I mean, God is stating that we should respect our parents, but in my case this is extremely hard. Parents are always punishing you and many times overprotect you which lead to fighting with them. Why do we have to respect them if sometimes they don’t respect us back? If God created this commandment why didn’t he create one that said “Honor your son or daughter”?

6. You shall not murder.
I totally agree with this commandment, but I strongly believe that God is contradicting himself. After he has killed millions of people during the plagues, he is now prohibiting murder. I mean, why does God has to have this superiority in which it is justified that he murders, while if a normal person assassinates someone its considered a sin?

7. You shall not commit adultery.
I really didn’t know what to write about this commandment so I decided to procrastinate and turned on the T.V and guess what? Coincidentally in the news they were talking about a man who decided to castrate himself with a knife in order to stop himself from committing adultery. I thought this was of great importance and decided to write about it. It´s incredible how a set of rules and believes, or even some religious institutions such as the Catholic Church can have such a strong power in a person that may lead him/her to do this dangerous acts. The man is currently in the hospital and it is obvious that he has mental problems since you should have control over yourself without having to take this crazy-pathetic decisions.

8. You shall not steal.
I think this commandment is reasonable since stealing is really bad, but lets be realistic. Everyone steals, it’s a normal thing. If God considers this a sin why did he create greed and inequality amongst the people?

9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.Ok so wtf? I just thought this commandment was very random.

10. "You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.” Ok, I think that we as humans always want what we cant have so it is completely normal to want what your neighbor, friend, etc. haves.

These commandments were written based on the time they were at, but in modern days many of this commandments would have to be modified.

No comments:

Post a Comment