Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Gospel of Luke: FINALLY JESUS!




Yey! I’m ecstatic because I am reading the Bible again. (Please note the sarcasm)

Ok, so, as I said previously I am returning to blogging about the Bible, but this time it’s about the New Testament. I am really not enthusiastic about the idea, but let’s be positive and hopefully things turn out to be better this time.

Now, I am beginning to read Luke´s Gospel and as weird as it may sound I am actually enjoying it. Luke starts by telling the story of how Zacharias ´wife, Elizabeth, conceives a child (John). According to the Bible, Angel Gabriel, appeared in the presence of Zacharias and told him that his barren wife was going to have a child. This seems pretty normal, but it isn’t, due to the SIMPLE fact that Elizabeth is an old barren woman. Yes, because they were living in a happy world were this kind of miracles occurred and were menopause didn’t exist. Also, if Zacharias was a priest, how come he was married? Well, at least nowadays the Catholic Church prohibits this.

Then, we finally get to the story of Jesus. In the sixth day Angel Gabriel appeared to Elizabeth´s sister, Virgin Mary, and told her that she was going to conceive a child from the Lord, and that she shall named him Jesus. After this, Mary becomes pregnant and accompanied by her husband, Joseph, they go to Bethlehem. In Bethlehem she gives birth to Jesus.

I like how Luke makes everything seem simple. For example, throughout all of our lives we have heard the same B-O-R-I-N-G story of how Jesus was born. We have not just had to hear this story over and over again, but as well, we´ve had to see people acting it every Christmas (or at least in my case). I come from a very hot city located in the coast of Colombia, so every time I go there for winter break I have to tolerate those long ´novenas´ in the middle of the hot burning sun and those stupid mosquitoes biting all of my legs, while listening to the same old story.
Thanks God, instead of explaining every detail of the birth of Jesus, Luke only says,

“And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn. 8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.” (2:6-2:7)

Also, think about it, isn’t it strange to have the son of the Lord while being married to another man? I personally think the idea of being Joseph and having to see his wife have a child, which isn’t his, is terrible. I just see the fact of the Lord doing this, as sexual abuse and adultery. In the Old Testament we see how one of the Ten Commandments is,

“You shall not commit adultery.” (Seventh commandment)

Isn’t kind of contradictory how God states this as a rule, but he doesn’t follow it? I understand the concept of him being superior, but that doesn’t give him the right to go and leave Mary pregnant. In fact, he didn’t even ask for Mary´s permission or approval, he just sent his Angel to give her the news. Ok, maybe Mary and Joseph were extremely devoted to God, but to me this is just too extreme to be justified.

After all this is told, we now get to the part when Luke mentions how Jesus grows, not only in years, but in knowledge and wisdom. Jesus gets interested in the Lord and is learning about him,

“How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?” (2:50)

It is told that Jesus, as a small kid, had knowledge and was mature, but I really don’t see this as something possible. I am a girl, and it is said that we mature faster than boys, and it is somehow true. I am fifteen and boys my age are not still mature so I really can’t understand how Jesus was born so intelligent and talks about this topics when he is like 7. OH WELL, maybe this stuff did occur at this period of time.

Another thing that caught my attention is how they talk about virginity. For example, there is one part where Luke talks about a prophetess and mentions her virginity.

“And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;” (2:27)

Practically, what I got from this quotation is that Anna lost her virginity when she got married. I thought this was interesting since I’ve always heard my grandmother and mom tell me that they were virgins when they got married, but to me this just seems as a bunch of bull. I mean, maybe at those time women couldn’t have sexual relationships before being married, but in modern days this has changed. So, basically if the Bible doesn’t promote sex before marriage, is this considered a sin?

Then, in Chapter Three, John starts baptizing people and when Jesus is baptized, the Lord appears to him and says,

“Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.” (3:22)

UGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! I am really mad at God. How is that he has the right to do whatever he wants and everyone seems to be ok with it? I mean, his sudden appearance to his son is portrayed as something very natural, but if I was Jesus I would be really mad with my Dad for not having appeared before.

After this, coincidentally Satan appears and Jesus is tempted by him. Satan offers Jesus all his power and glory, but Jesus refuses and tells him,

“Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.” (4:8)

I really liked this part since it shows loyalty. Jesus is extremely loyal to his father since his love for him is stronger than all the power in the world. I admire Jesus since he is not ambitious and demonstrates strength.

What follows next is just how Jesus started curing diseases, forgiving sins, and spreading the word of the Lord. One of the things he said that I really liked is,

“Give, and it shall be given unto you;” (6:28)

This is absolutely true since who gives and spreads happiness will receive happiness, but if you decide to give sadness you will receive sadness back.

So far, I am loving Luke, and although I don’t know who this man really is, he seems pretty intelligent. It is weird to read something written about someone unknown, but it is much better since it makes everything more mysterious and we don’t know about how biased and true the information is.

No comments:

Post a Comment