Sunday, May 2, 2010

Exodus: A Series of Unrealistic Events

Ok, so now I finally got to Exodus. Exodus mainly tells the story of Moses and his loyalty to the Lord. The story starts when the Pharaoh feels threatened and orders that all Hebrew boys must be murdered. In effect, Moses’ mother decides to save him and puts him in a basket in the river. Then, Moses is found and kept by the Pharaoh´s daughter, but when he grows he sees how the Israelites are treated and strongly disagrees. Then, the Lord appears to Moses, in the form of a bush, and tells him to fight for his people.
As stated by the narrator,

“And the LORD said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows; And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites.” (Genesis 3:7 and 3:8)

At first, Moses doesn’t understand what he has to do, but then God gives a long explanation and gives him the power to convert his rod to a snake. Finally, after millions of hours, Moses understands his duty and goes to the Pharaoh´s palace.

Ok, so first of all I have to say, what is wrong with Moses? He seems kind of a retard. How can he actually talk to a bush? As well, Moses is kind of a slow learner since God has to repeat himself various times so that he can get the whole point of the conversation.
I also found interesting how God hasn’t helped his people for hundreds of years and then he suddenly appears and decides to help. Moses confused asks him who he is, but he gives the lamest response I have ever heard,

“I AM THAT I AM” (Genesis 3:14)

What does this actually mean? Like really, who is God? I interpreted this as if God is just like a superior power that can’t be named nor described.

After all this, Moses goes to talk to the palace and the Pharaoh refuses to agree with him. What happens next is just BLA BLA BLA or in other words, the story we all know about the plagues and how heroic Moses opened the sea.
I think God is a little too violent since during the plagues many people died and suffered. I mean, he didn’t have to kill innocent people just because of the Pharaoh´s decision. The Lord is extremely harsh since by making everyone suffer he is actually doing the same thing the Pharaoh did with the Israelites. While reading this I couldn’t stop asking myself some questions. If God did this to teach a lesson to the world maybe he is doing the same thing to us in present days by sending us many catastrophes and tragedies. Also I couldn’t stop thinking about this documentary I saw some years ago in which scientists analyzed the plagues and how he opened the sea and found scientifically-reasonable explanations for them. I thought that the part when Moses opens the sea was very unrealistic so I decided to google it and found out that scientists agree that the wind set-down effect could have caused the Red Sea to part as described in the Bible.

After all this unbelievable events happen, the Israelites guided by Moses finally reach the Promised Land and are given the Ten Commandments. In my following blog you may read more about these commandments.

No comments:

Post a Comment